I’m often asked about the best way to take a profile photo for silhouettes.
You really don’t need a fancy camera or to be an expert photographer. If you use the phone on your camera and follow these tips then you can’t go wrong.
- A plain white wall is best to create a strong, clearly defined profile. Top of the head and the shoulders need to be visible.
- Ask your subject to stand side on to you. The image needs to be precisely in profile.
- If the subject has long hair, take some pictures with the hair tied up in a ponytail or bun, plus some down too, showing the whole length of the hair.
- Mouth slightly parted always seems to work best.
- Selfies are fine, but make sure you get the angle of the pic perfectly side on.
- If taking a pic of a wriggly child or pet, get help showing them a toy or put them in from of the TV! This might take a few attempts…
- Take a few pictures of the subject.
Once I receive your photo, I’ll confirm that it’s suitable to create the portrait. If there are any issues, I’ll be in touch to give you help and advice.